Founded in 1838 Green-Wood was one of America's first rural cemeteries. The citizens of Manhattan Island needed a burial space and decided on the spectacular hills just a short boat ride away to Brooklyn. Soon crowds flocked to Green-Wood to enjoy family outings, carriage rides, sculpture viewing in the finest of first gereration American landscapes. Today Green-Wood is 478 spectacular acres of hills, valleys, glacial ponds and winding paths, throughout which exists one of the largest outdoor collection of 19th & 20th century statuary and mausoleums. Four seasons of beauty. In 2006 Green-Wood was designated a National Historic Landmark.
The permanent residents range from the most famous in every field to the everyday person.
Living history, this is the site of the 1778 Battle of Brooklyn, led by General George Washington and General Grant. It was the longest battle of the 7 year Revolutionary War.
Landmarked Brownstone Cemetery gates in Gothic Revival style